Where Do You Find Your Inspiration?

Inspiration.

I’m always looking for it.

When my kids were little, sometimes it was simply inspiration to get me through the day with a smile on my face.

Or inspiration to trust that I knew what to do, and that everything would turn out all right.

I still look for inspiration on that one.

I remember thinking that there must be some secret handbook that I missed out on – you know, the one that had all the parenting answers?

I never have found it, so I decided to write my own. That’s when my blog, mamawolfe, was born. It’s kind of when I was born, too.

Yosemite with kids

I realized that just like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, everything I really needed was inside of me-I just needed to get quiet and trust that the answers would come when I needed them.

Some people call that prayer. I call it writing. Walking. Meditating. Slowing down. Getting outside. Centering.

My inspiration.

It’s been twenty years since I started to become mamawolfe – twenty years of loving fiercely and thinking deeply. It’s funny how having kids can turn us into the people we were always meant to be, isn’t it?

This month Bonbon Break launched their “Inspire” series, and my essay about small and mighty moments is one of the to be first published. I wrote it at the end of the summer, when I was struggling with change (one of my triggers, I’m learning). I’d just finished an end of the summer family trip to Yosemite, full of love and laughs and fresh air and mind-blowing views. And lots of time to think as I walked along the trails, feeling small yet mighty in the midst of all that majestic beauty.

I realized that when I need inspiration, looking for the extraordinary in the ordinary, being present right here, right now, and looking for the big messages in smallest of moments will usually give me the answers I’m looking for.

I’d love to have you check out my post, “Small and Mighty Moments”, and let me know where you find inspiration. I can use all the advice I can get!

And be sure to check in all month with Bonbon Break as they continue to share inspirational wisdom from their group of talented writers.

12 thoughts on “Where Do You Find Your Inspiration?

1. zakia says:

Nice post My Inspiration my big bro.
    zakia recently posted…WE CREATE A NICHE
    OF TALENTED PROFESSIONALS
    My Profile

Thank you! How sweet you find inspiration from your brother- he must be very special.

2. Like you, I find inspiration in the everyday things. Little things that me laugh, cry, smile etc. #bestandworst
    Debbie
    Random Musings recently posted…Instagram ReviewMy Profile

Debbie, it’s funny how that is so true! When I am really feeling low, I long for the most simple moments. Thanks for commenting!

3. I find a lot of inspiration from the people and bloggers around me but also doing what you say – calming down, being quiet and thinking. The world is so busy sometimes and you need to be calm to hear it all! Really interesting post and thanks for sharing with #bestandworst and hope to see you again xx
    Sarah Howe (@RunJumpScrap) recently posted…Best and Worst Week #21My Profile

You’re welcome, Sarah. I’m so glad to have found your community- they give me inspiration, too!

4. I find inspiration from so many different people and places, and they’re usually unexpected ones. I agree that change is definitely a trigger, for better or worse, and that quiet time is so important for letting the thoughts flow. If only we could cut out more of the noise.
    Lois Alter Mark recently posted…4 must-see movies at the new angelika film center!My Profile

Lois, I just love the unexpected surprises that happen when we slow down and really listen – even though change is hard, if I pay attention I find that there’s always something there that i needed. So glad to have met up with you here!

5. Pat says:

Great advice, Jennifer. And like you, I draw inspiration from the students I teach every day at the International School of Geneva Switzerland. http://pattymackz.com/wordpress/

Patty, I have to say that is definitely one of the perks of teaching! I’d love to hear more about teaching at the International school – I’m going to click over to your blog right now!

6. […] Writing wove its way into my life five years ago; blogging transformed my private journal scribbles into a rough-hewn, unrefined platform to practice sharing my stories for the first time. As my children aged and my confidence matured, I recklessly dove into my newly released creativity. Inspired to connect with other women – mothers and teachers and writers and like-minded creative spirits who used words as theirĀ outlet, I greedily crafted a community that lifted me up, gave me courage, and reminded me that I need to write every day. […]

7. […] Writing wove its way into my life five years ago; blogging transformed my private journal scribbles into a rough-hewn, unrefined platform to practice sharing my stories for the first time. As my children aged and my confidence matured, I recklessly dove into my newly released creativity. Inspired to connect with other women – mothers and teachers and writers and like-minded creative spirits who used words as theirĀ outlet, I greedily crafted a community that lifted me up, gave me courage, and reminded me that I need to write every day. […]