Do you ever have one of those days when you feel like you just can’t get it right? Yesterday was one of those days- I was running late for work, my coffee spilled all over the papers I was supposed to be grading, I forgot my lunch, I ran out of handouts for one class, my kids needed to be driven all over town and back again, the dinner was less than Rachel Ray would whip up, and my children would NOT go to sleep! Days like this just make me feel overwhelmed, unsuccessful and OLD. They make me wonder how I can keep up with work, mothering, and life in general.
And have you ever noticed that sometimes on days like this, something happens to let a crack of light in? It could be an authentic smile from a stranger, or someone letting you go before them in the grocery store checkout line, or your partner surprising you with a clean kitchen when you return home. At the very least, your dog might be happy to see you after a long day!
Today, my ray of hope came in the form of a blogging award. My friend and fellow blogger Michael Ann from Thinking In My Head passed along the Kreativ Blogger award to mamawolfe today just in the nick of time! I love being a blogger. The blogging world is an amazingly supportive community rich with wonderful, talented, funny, compassionate writers.
The rules for accepting this award are to share a few things about yourself, and then to pass the award along to ten other blogs. So if your day has been less than stellar, sit back, relax, and let some sunshine into your life!
Seven Things About Me:
1. I loved college. It was the hardest yet most rewarding job I’ve ever had. I wish I had not been so eager to start teaching and had worked towards a masters. Who knows-maybe that will be my next challenge!
2. I just received a federal grant from the Department of Education to be a part of the Teachers of Global Classrooms program. It involves 8 weeks of coursework on global education, two trips to Washington D.C. for seminars, and two weeks in a foreign country! I’m super excited!
3. I love teaching middle school, and don’t love teaching elementary school. I don’t like kids tugging on me all day, but I do like the unexpectedness of 12-15 year olds!
4. I love baseball. When I was a kid I played ‘Bobby Sox’-oh, so NOT a PC term! I was a pretty solid catcher, and not a bad hitter, either.
5. My favorite color is black. Yep. Black IS a color. I wear black nearly every day-at least some part of my outfit. My second favorite is leopard. I’m not sure that’s a color according to Crayola, but I love it just the same.
6. I adore the ocean. Actually, more being near the ocean. I don’t actually like to be IN the ocean-I get horribly seasick, and am not a very good swimmer. I prefer cold beaches to warm-not a fan of sunbathing!
7. I have been known to dance like nobody’s watching. Actually, that’s probably a very good thing. I’m not quite ready for ‘So You Think You Can Dance’, but I’m getting close!
And now, to pay it forward, please spend a moment to visit my nominees for the Kreativ Blogger Award!
mamawolfeNovember 13, 2011
Susan KaneNovember 12, 2011
Huzzah on winning the award!Reply
Mommy LaDy ClubNovember 7, 2011
I so love black and leopard too! I just bought some fabulous cow hair leopard print pumps. They go with everything;)
It’s so nice to get to know you better, and congratulations on the award! I’m stopping in from the getting to know you hop. Thanks for visiting Mommy LaDy Club:)Reply
Spilled MilkshakeNovember 6, 2011
Congrats on the award! You definitely deserve it. And congrats on the grant!
I definitely think leopard needs to be a color lol.Reply
mamawolfeNovember 6, 2011
Hi Veronica~therapeutic is right!Reply
Hi MA~thanks for passing along some sunshine!
Desiree~ Thank you, and I only hope my photos turn out well from my adventure!
Hi Nancy~You’re welcome, and I can’t wait to read your post!
Hi Lisa~ glad I gave you a little laugh today~
Alysssa~You’re welcome, and you’re right!
Inner Chick~ You’re welcome! I love your blog!
My Inner ChickNovember 6, 2011
How nice to be included :)) xx
Adventures in AlyssalandNovember 6, 2011
Yes. Thanks for the award. And Crayola makes up colors anyway so why can’t you.Reply
lisaNovember 6, 2011
Oh yay! Congrats on your much deserved award and on your grant! How cool! 🙂
Oh and LMAO at leopard being a color. Awesome.
Nancy @ A Rural JournalNovember 6, 2011
Thanks so much for the award! I’ll be posting about it tomorrow. Hope you are having a wonderful Sunday!! 🙂Reply
DesireeNovember 6, 2011
I had to rush off earlier when guests arrived, so I was not able to complete my comment. Anyway, I also wanted to say how touched I was that you’d nominated me for the award. Thank you, Jennifer! As I run an award-free blog, I will not be posting it, but I sincerely appreciate your having thought of me 🙂
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Big hug xoReply
ClairityNovember 6, 2011
Wow, congrats on receiving the grant. That’s really something. Can’t wait to find out where you will be going. You must be so excited!!Reply
DesireeNovember 6, 2011
As Michael Ann commented, “Great post, Jennifer” and my sincere congratulations to you as well, on having received the grant. So exciting and such an honour to have your talent and dedication as a teacher, recognised. Well done!Reply
Michael AnnNovember 6, 2011
Great post, Jennifer! I’m glad I gave you a little ray of sunshine in an otherwise crummy day. I hope your Saturday was restful after all that! Loved learning more about you and am so excited that you received the grant. What and honor! And it couldn’t have gone to a more deserving person. Look forward to seeing you soon!Reply
Veronica LeeNovember 6, 2011
Congrats on the well-deserved award! I adore the ocean too. The sound of waves crashing into the shore is so therapeutic.
Have a blessed Sunday!Reply