The Universe is Taking Care of Me

Sometimes we all are so caught up in how we want things to be. Who will win an election, who will find the right relationship, what college our kids will be accepted to, what treatment will be found for an illness, what job might open up for us. We face these all-important, and sometimes critical, issues in life. However, I wonder if perhaps we are all just trying a bit too hard to make it happen.

I will admit I am a cerebral person. I stay up in my head all the time. I like it there. I like to think, to ponder, to imagine what if. I have never been one to jump into huge risks, or vocalize my thoughts immediately as they come to mind. I keep them ‘up there’.

Interestingly, I also wear them on my sleeve. Emotional, shy, sensitive – all adjectives used to describe me my entire life. It’s hard to feel intensely and try to keep it inside. I’ve never been good at lying or keeping secrets. Mix that all together, and I often find myself missing opportunities, misunderstood, or thinking of what I ‘should have said’ 30 minutes after the occasion ended.

So in the last few years I have kind of surprised myself. Surprised my family and my colleagues, too. I’ve decided that I needed to let these feelings and thoughts out of my head and heart and put them in motion. Like a slow leak in a balloon, I let the control in my head move towards my center. Using my contemplative nature, instead of thinking it out I let it settle and sink in. I acted on intuition over intellect and to my great surprise, amazing things started to happen.

I found myself in the mountains of Nicaragua, along with my children and complete strangers, mucking in the dirt and rocks to build a school. I found myself teaching and coordinating a new program at my school to help kids and families find their confidence and success. I found myself on a zip line flying over the jungle to challenge my fear of heights. I found myself applying and earning a government grant to study global education, with plane tickets for Washington D.C. and Indonesia. I found myself writing, testing the voice that began to emerge and finding new writing friends to share and learn with. Now, I find myself writing for Yahoo, my thoughts and words about education and parenting shared with an unlimited audience.

None of these experiences would have happened if I remained locked inside my head. There are too many reasons I could create to explain them away. There are too many risks, too many challenges, too many other people who would be better suited. Except that, the universe is taking care of me.

My writing friend Brenda Moguez, who shares her head and heart with the universe on a regular basis, writes in her blog ‘Passionate Pursuits’, “just once, this singular time, I’d like a leg up, the map, the golden key, the spoonful of sugar, the ruby slippers, and one of the wishes Genie gave to Aladdin. It’s ballsy of me to ask, I know, but I have good reason. I looked at karma’s life ledgers and I am showing a substantial overpayment. The same auditors, who tally the votes for the Academy Awards, keep karma’s book, so the numbers are accurate. Trust me.”

I couldn’t agree more. Karma’s life ledgers do keep the tally marks next to our name. Santa Claus does know who has been naughty and who has been nice. Cinderella’s fairy godmother does turn a pumpkin into a carriage so she can meet her handsome prince. And the Blue Fairy does bring Pinocchio back to life after he proves his bravery, honesty and selflessness.

But all of those magical experiences would remain in the ledger book if not for one thing: the voice and actions that put them out into the universe to be answered. As the great philosopher Bill Cosby says, “In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.”

Is this what holds so many of us back?  It’s our lives; we have to want it to happen.

In the end, I believe a combination of desire and action allows the universe to move. Trusting that we will be taken care of, that things will happen the way that they are supposed to, not necessarily how we think they should.

That, and a bit of fairy dust.

31 thoughts on “The Universe is Taking Care of Me

1. Michael Ann says:

This really resonated with me, Jennifer, and was very well-written. I loved the imagery of the balloon slowly leaking air 🙂 As you know, I am at a huge transitional time in my life. Seems like many people I know, are also. 2012 is going to be some year, I think! But I am really learning to “trust the process” and as you say, trust that the universe will take care of me. I agree, it is part determination and part magic. We also have to open our minds and hearts to it!

Dear Jennifer,
    As with “Michael Ann,” your posting today resonated with me. I am in the midst of deciding whether to move back to Minnesota and also how to proceed with my desire to get published again. You offer so much wisdom here. I try to “go with the flow” and trust the Universe. I know I have control only over my response to life. But so often, I begin that mental mulling that can lead to true lassitude.

Your words” instead of thinking it out, I let it settle and sink in” struck me especially today. I, too, need to get out of my head and into my heart. Thank you.

Peace.

Dee, I sense we have that cerebral similarity…it’s not always a bad thing to be a thinker. It’s just hard to find the balance between head and heart. I hope your answers come to you.

3. This Mom's Heart says:

“Karma’s life ledgers do keep the tally marks next to our name. Santa Claus does know who has been naughty and who has been nice. Cinderella’s fairy godmother does turn a pumpkin into a carriage so she can meet her handsome prince. And the Blue Fairy does bring Pinocchio back to life after he proves his bravery, honesty and selflessness.” This line gave me a lot to think about- and reminded me of how lucky I am that God keeps no record of wrongs or does not reward based on works and merit- because who would truly be worthy? Thanks for a thought-provoking post, and thanks for stopping by!

4. Ang says:

What a beautiful and true blog post! Our lives are what we make them, and our dreams only become reality when we wake up and start putting landing gear on them! And then that something magical happens that we just can’t explain. That’s the power of faith plus hard work!
    (You are in my G+ circles now!)

5. Kathy Radigan says:

Jennifer I know why I’m always attracted to your writing because I too have been going through a similar process and hold a lot of the same belief systems. I find when I put it out in the universe and then allow myself the gift of following the inner voice in me wonderful things happen! Your life is perfect proof of that!! And, I see it in mine, how does a women who didn’t even have an email address start a blog and find a voice as I have done in the last year! It’s really amazing what can happen when we start listening to our heart and follow what that tells us to do! Thanks and much love!

6. Jodi Lobozzo Aman says:

Jennifer, This is beautiful. It is a proclamation, a acknowledgment of you being you. I love it. You want to shout it from the rooftops so everyone can know they can do it too! It is inspirational! I LOVE Brenda, too. She is awesome!

7. brenda says:

Jennifer – you are right about us being similar. I live inside of my head, too. I like my company and like you it’s where I ponder, and well, talk to my imaginary friends–the fiction writer in me–yet, those darn emotions are ablaze on my sleeve! This is a wonderful post. I am so happy you are finding a venue for your words. Writing is freedom unparalleled to anything I know. Like you I am a mom, and yes, this is an amazing part of my life that gives me great joy, but this is different from finding my own place as you are.. Enjoy every moment. I am so thrilled to be considered a friend and honored to be mentioned. One day we will need to meet in person and share a bottle of wine or pot of coffee. Hugs and enjoy this moment, you’ve worked hard for it.

8. Rosann says:

Love how amazing things happen when we stop over-thinking it and start listening to our heart. Keep it simple. Life doesn’t have to be a complicated process. Everything happens when and how it’s supposed to happen. Although it’s not always easy to live carefree.

Hi Rosann,
      You’re right-it doesn’t have to be complicated…when it seems to be heading that direction I think it’s great to stop, wait, and see what feels right next. I think ‘carefree’ often implies ‘careless’-I don’t feel that I’m free of care, but learning to let care control me.

9. Bella says:

MamaWolfe, what a fantastic blog post! And it totally resonates with me. It wasn’t too long ago that I was trying to control and manipulate fate. However, I chanced upon the realization that it’s too damn tiring–both mentally and physically. Nowadays, I let the Universe work it’s magic. Things that are meant to happen will–without any scheming or planning on my end. And those that aren’t meant to happen, I’m just going to have to live with their non-happening. Thanks for the thought-provoking post! 🙂