Truth, Love and Despair

“When I despair, I remember all that through history the way of truth and love have always won.  There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall.  Think of it – always.” – Mahatma Gandhi

Truth and love.  How do those ideas manifest themselves on a daily basis?  Do they frame our days, or are they simply reminders that hang out there somewhere, waiting to be knocked about when things get rough?

LOVE

Truth and love.  Do they cram themselves into our every movement, our every thought, our every action?  Do we wear them on our sleeve, or bury them deep in our chest?

Truth and love.  What about when deceit and hate smack us in the face and knock us down without offering a hand up?  What then?  Does the tyrant smirk and turn their back, not worried about us finding the strength to attack back?

Truth and love.  Do the emails, the rejection letters, the pink slips, show us?  They think they’re doing the right thing, following the protocol, but they are neglecting to see the human inside, the person that feels the sting and disappointment.

They forget about my fire.

truth love and despair

Truth and love.  When I despair, truth and love have shown me what to do. To think of our children and what is best for them.   To do the right thing, even when nobody is looking.  Assume positive intention.  To look into another’s eyes and see how we are all more similar than we are different.
When I despair, I remember they may seem invincible.  They may seem to have won.
But when I despair, I think of the power of truth and love and know they are wrong.
I have won.

I am the one who is invincible.

Always.

28 thoughts on “Truth, Love and Despair

1. Thomasina says:

This was profound, I think like this. So much so, I named two of my girls Truth and Love. 🙂 I always have to take a deep breath and remember these very important truths. Thanks

2. Carla Karam says:

WOW!! You have left me speechless… which I never thought possible. What a thought provoking post… Reminds us all of the important things in life… truth and love!! Blessings to you and yours.

3. brenda says:

I LOVED this post. Perfect for me today. I am lost in that ‘wait and and wait zone’ and feeling unsettled. I know it’s part of the process (sending out query letters to agents etc) but it’s hard, the waiting. I was walking down Market Street (here in San Fran) today thinking how much this feels like being judged. I screamed (in my head) not to be negative. I reminded myself there is more in me and in life. Be still little one I said to myself. My heart back in my chest I smiled to the world and pushed myself to carry on. Thanks Jennifer, for reinforcing.

Dear Jennifer, I found this post truly inspiring. I had just read Dr. Kathleen McCoy’s posting about living in the moment. Being aware. And then I came to yours. I think the Universe is speaking to me today through both of you. Peace.

5. Michael Ann says:

This was beautiful. I have always lived my life by truth and love. And when circumstances or people don’t fit into that, my life gets very out of wack. You can tell when truth and love are not in balance. Striving for both will make things right!

6. momto8 says:

I enjoyed this post…and I think about this stuff a lot! I think the opposite of love is not hate, but fear.
    and i know that despair is never from God.
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

7. Susan Kane says:

Good writing. Elicited quite a varied response!

Fear freezes us in place. I think of the deer that crossed our country roads at night. Have caught their eyes in the headlights. Frozen in fear.

Keep moving!